EDS is a group of inherited disorders that affects your connective tissues and is caused by abnormalities in
the structure, production, and processing of Collagen.
Collagen is the main protein in skin and other connective tissues, such as tendons, ligmants, skin, cartilage, bones and blood vessels.
There are six major forms of EDS:
- hypermobility :
- Classic : Often mistaken for Hypermobility and has more significant skin and soft tissue manifestations. Connective tissue disorder characterized by skin hyperextensibility (Excessive stretching of the skin), abnormal wound healing, and joint hypermobility (joints that move beyond the natural range). It includes two previously designated subtypes (EDS type I and EDS type II).
- Vascular : Usually manifests thin, translucent skin, fragility of soft tissue and scarring. Predisposition to spontaneous rupture of hollow organs (primarily arteries, intestines, and uterus.)
- Kphosoliosis : deformity in the spine caused by an abnormal curvature of the vertebral column. It is a combination of kyphosis and scoliosis. Kyphosis is an excessive curvature of the spine in the (A-P) plane.
- Arthrochalasia : autosomal dominant, rare, and dstinguished by congenital hip dislocation and more severe skin manifestations Skin hyperextensibility with easy bruising. Tissue fragility including atrophic scars ,Muscle Hypotonia (Hypotonia means decreased muscle tone.) ,Kyphoscoliosis ,Radiologically Mild Osteopenia (bone density that is lower than normal peak density but not low enough to be classified as osteoporosis.).
- Dermatosporoxis : soft, doughy skin that is extremely fragile; saggy, redundant skin, especially on the face; hernias; and mild to severe joint hypermobility.
I have the hypermobility type. This form is usually considered one of the least severe types, however; serious musculoskeletal, skin, and soft tissue complications occur more with this type. It mainly affects my joints and bones and makes it hard for me to do day to day things. It’s hard for me to stand for long periods of time, and do stuff like climbing steps and even washing my hair.